June 9, 2013

Building your wardrobe- work attire


If you're starting a new job or just want to re-evaluate your current work wardrobe, here are a few things to consider:

  • start with the bottom half. Invest in 5 solid colour bottoms (pants and/or skirts. For skirts ensure there's a pencil skirt in the mix as they are great for all body types)
  • 2-3 pairs of neutral coloured work shoes (black, brown, nude, tan, grey)
  • some fun shirts (play around with fabrics and prints as well as have your usual suspects like your solid colours, for instance a black button down shirt)
  • cardigans/jackets
  • create your own uniform
A note on the jackets, there's nothing like a well structured jacket to cinch you in and to make you look more professional. Some jackets are pricey so cardigans are another good cost effective option and they come in so many colours.


With creating your own uniform of sorts, you can simplify things and repeat outfits. This can be pants & shirts or full suits or cardigans & pencil skirts.



Source: J's Everyday Fashion
Also make sure your clothes fit. Tight, baggy and ill-fitting clothes have no place in the office. Make sure you get a good seamstress/dressmaker to ensure clothes fit properly.

Ensure that you can get mileage out of the items in your closet. Mix and match and get items that complement each other. If you are buying an item, think of what you already have in your closet and see if you could make 2-3 outfits at least out of it.

I also plan my outfits for the week on Sunday nights,this usually takes about 30 minutes max. I get my clothes ironed every 2 weeks or so, if it's not ironed I'm not wearing it. I fuss around and see what works so I spend less time in the morning getting ready. If I put on an outfit that I selected and don't like I go to another one and that evening select another for the next day. I usually wear jackets for the 1st 2-3 days of the week then throw in a cardigan or a button down shirt for the other days. I hate 'being a girl' and taking FOREVER to get ready- how do I fix that? Preparation. I prep my outfits. Even when going to a party I think about what I want to wear, try it on and re-evaluate if needed, then chose my accessories and everything before it's actually time to get ready. For work I chose my shoes and jewellery the night before. I usually get up 30 minutes before I head out the door and that includes cleaning up after and feeding my dogs (I eat breakfast at work which I pack the night before). Nowadays I get up 30 minutes earlier to fit in a workout.

Another thing is to have fun with your outfits. I always say "if I don't feel good, I should at least look good". Play around with colours and different combinations. There's nothing like getting a compliment on how good you look.

XOXO
Ronz

No comments:

Post a Comment