May 16, 2013

Shoe issues- Corns & Balls of your feet: prevention is better than cure

yuck !
A callus, or callosity, is a section of skin that has become toughened and thick as a result of friction, pressure or irritation. Corns and calluses generally form when the skin tries to protect an underlying area from injury, pressure or rubbing. Corns and calluses affect women more commonly than men, as well as people who wear ill-fitting shoes, individuals with sweaty feet, and those who have to stay standing for long periods each day. 

(source: Written by Christian Nordqvist, Medical News Today: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/172459.php)


When it comes to corns & calluses "prevention is better than cure". If you're Jamaican, I'm sure you have heard this saying (parents especially love to use it when they want to give us yucky medicine).

So here's my simple tip for preventing or furthering worsening corns- MICROPORE TAPE.




Yes ladies. It's cheap and very effective. It cost less than US$2/J$200 and sells at most pharmacies.

Now I love love love my feet so when I started working, after college, and started wearing closed toes shoes every day and I noticed I was getting these unsightly nuances. I walked around a lot and I have to wear my cute shoes so it was either give up the nice shoes or deal with the corns- give up my shoes? Hell no!. I used bandaids at first but I used to have to use 1-4 per day and that's expensive so I was in the pharmacy buying more bandaids and was looking around while I waited in the line to cash my bandaids when I saw the tape and I thought I could use this and voila!


I fold the edge of one end of the tape (the end that will be left after wrapping) for easy removal at the end of the day.

If you already have corns then Dr. Scholls has a pretty effective treatment.

 
 



 Also if you have problems with the balls of your feet, again if you stand or walk around a lot, another solution is to use insoles. Yes they sell the ball of foot cushions but I find those to be too thin and some come with sticky parts and then removing them to put in another shoe sometimes ruins the cushions. So I simply buy a pair of insoles (the cheaper ones), usually the ones for males as those are bigger, and cut it to fit my shoes. For shoes I wear alot I even glue them in place. I keep a cut set in my bag also for emergencies. ^_^ One pair can yield up to 4 sets.

XOXO
Ronz

No comments:

Post a Comment